HMRC is in the process of sending out information to all exporters and importers regarding the closure of the existing Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system. CHIEF will be withdrawn in two stages:
- After 30 September 2022 – import declarations will not be possible through CHIEF
- After 31 March 2023 – export declarations will not be possible through CHIEF
Instead, all customs declarations must be made through the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS) which will become the UK’s single customs platform.
Firstly, we can assure all of our customers that Ital Logistics has everything in hand and that our software solutions will be able to submit through the new CDS platform. However, there are a few processes which all traders, exporters and importers will need to undertake. Trying to be as brief as possible…
- In relation to imports, if you hold a Duty Deferment Account, you now have to authorise us to use it via the CDS platform. If you don’t, we will be unable to use your Duty Deferment Account. To do so you will need to register as a company on the CDS platform and then navigate to authorise us.
- You will also need to set up new direct debits with HMRC for Duties.
- If you haven’t already obtained a Duty Deferment Account, it is recommended that you do so. Guidance on how to do that can be found here.
- You will still be able to use Postponed VAT Accounting as is done now, but in order to view your PVAT statements, you will have to register for CDS, even if you do not hold a Duty deferment Account.
HMRC has provided a ‘toolkit’ which goes into far greater detail and this can be found here. Additionally, they have also prepared some YouTube videos which may be worth a look…
- How to subscribe to the Customs Declaration Service
- How to set up a Direct Debit instruction on the Customs Declaration Service (one signature)
- How to set up a Direct Debit instruction on the Customer Declaration Service (multiple signatures)
- How to set up a standing authority on the Customs Declaration Service (one signature)
- How to use the secure file upload service on the Customs Declaration Service
We shall be contacting all of our customers shortly to ensure that we all navigate [yet another] change as smoothly as possible.